A Comfortable Dental Experience
Do you have anxiety associated with dental treatments? You’re not alone — up to 80% of people experience some form of nervousness when visiting the dentist office. Fortunately, Dr. Kauffman offers sedation services to keep you feeling relaxed and comfortable throughout your procedure. It’s important to give your teeth the necessary care they need to maintain your oral health. If not, you risk developing serious complications in the future.
Dr. Kauffman and our professional team strive to provide you with the best dental experience possible. Read our guide to learn how you can benefit from our sedation options.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves using anesthesia during treatment to put anxious patients in a relaxed state. When absorbed into the body, the anesthetic has a drowsy effect, but still allows you to remain conscious. Dr. Kauffman is a trained professional, having undergone specialized training in conscious sedation at the University of Alabama School of Dentistry in Birmingham, AL. He’s also a member of the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology.
Our sedation options are completely safe, especially when performed under a trained expert such as Dr. Kauffman. This widely regarded practice can allow patients who suffer from anxiety or stress in dental spaces to receive the treatment they need.
The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Patients will enter a relaxed state when given sedation. This will allow them to feel comfortable during their dental procedure while not experiencing any anxiety or discomfort.
Patients can benefit from our sedation options if they experience any of the following:
- Fear of visiting the dentist and not receiving necessary care
- Resistance to local anesthesia
- Having sensitive or overly-exposed teeth
- Undergoing a complicated or lengthy procedure
- Having a gag reflex
Types of Sedation Dentistry
Dr. Kauffman offers several types of sedation options for patients. During your consultation, he’ll determine which type of treatment is best based on your symptoms and level of stress.
The sedation options we offer include:
- Local Anesthesia: This is delivered directly to the area that is being treated. Local anesthesia is used in many procedures, including fillings, crowns, root canals, and oral surgeries. It can also be used in combination with other forms of sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide: Known as “Laughing Gas,” nitrous oxide is a sweet-smelling gas administered through a mask to produce a numbing effect. Nitrous is commonly used for anxious patients during mild, quicker procedures such as dental fillings and crowns.
- IV Sedation: This is the most profound form of conscious sedation that Dr. Kauffman administers to patients intravenously. IV sedation induces a “twilight” state, where you’ll still be responsive to verbal commands, but may drift in and out of sleep. To patients, the procedure will seem to last only a few minutes or be forgotten entirely.
Am I a Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
If you feel anxiety when stepping into a dentist’s office or have a fear of needles and tools, sedation dentistry may be right for you. During your initial consultation with Dr. Kauffman, he’ll determine which sedation option is right for you. He’ll also be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about sedation dentistry as well as your procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sedation is not the same as general anesthesia, which is used for patients who are undergoing surgery. Our patients are given a combination of sedatives through an IV or mask. Unlike anesthesia, you can still respond to verbal commands and physical stimuli. The recovery time is also overall faster — making it a safer option than general anesthesia.
Sedation can be administered in different ways depending on your procedure. Nitrous oxide is administered through a mask, while anesthesia is given through an IV. Dr. Kauffman recommends that patients have someone present during their procedure who can drive them home afterwards. Our staff will also walk you through how your sedation will be given.
Sedation dentistry is completely safe and recommended for patients who suffer from nervousness or anxiety. As long as an expert like Dr. Kauffman is overseeing your procedure, you’ll be comfortable knowing that you’re in good hands. Our staff will also monitor how you respond to sedation to ensure that you have the best dental experience possible.
Anxiety-Free Dental Care With Dr. Kauffman
Dental anxiety is a serious concern for many people seeking treatment for their teeth. That’s why Dr. Kauffman and our staff are dedicated to providing you with the best dental experience possible. We’ll customize our treatment plan to best suit your individual needs. Contact our office by calling (404) 524-1981 or click the button below to schedule an appointment.