Affordable Cosmetic Dentistry in Downtown Atlanta
A bright, beautiful smile can do wonders for your self-confidence. However, many people suffer from imperfect teeth. Discolored, misshapen, broken, or chipped teeth can make you self-conscious about showing your smile. Fortunately, dental bonding is a quick, affordable way to improve the appearance of your teeth.
Dr. Thomas W. Kauffman is a trusted Atlanta, GA, dentist providing dental bonding. With over 15 years of experience, Dr. Kauffman relies on advanced techniques and technologies to dramatically enhance smiles through dental bonding.
What Is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a cosmetic procedure that uses tooth-colored resin material and high-intensity light to reshape and improve the appearance of teeth. Bonding resin comes in various shades and opacities to create a beautiful, uniform smile. It’s a more conservative alternative to veneers and crowns, which require removing healthy tooth structure.
Benefits of Dental Bonding
There are many advantages to improving your smile with dental bonding, including:
- Repairing Chipped, Cracked, or Broken Teeth: Bonding restores damaged teeth while preserving natural tooth structure. The seamless resin repairs chips and cracks, eliminating sharp edges and sensitivity.
- Fixing Discolored or Stained Teeth: Bonding conceals stains from coffee, tea, wine, smoking, medications, and more. The natural-looking resin covers discoloration for brighter, whiter-looking teeth.
- Closing Small Gaps Between Teeth: Bonding reshapes and contours teeth to eliminate small spaces for a fuller smile. It provides a conservative alternative to braces.
- Changing the Shape or Size of Teeth: Sculpting with dental bonding can make teeth look longer, shorter, thinner, or more rounded for an improved appearance.
- Protecting Worn Teeth Roots: Bonding prevents sensitivity in exposed root surfaces and extends the life of worn teeth. It eliminates the need for root canals or extractions.
- Replacing Old Metal Fillings: Trading outdated metal fillings for natural-looking tooth-colored resin fillings gives you a fantastic smile upgrade.
With just a single appointment, dental bonding can enhance your smile with minimal removal of natural tooth structure. The treatment produces quick, dramatic improvements that increase self-confidence.
Candidates for Dental Bonding
Dental bonding is suitable for both teens and adults who want to improve the aesthetics of their smile. Good candidates for bonding include those who:
- Have mild to moderate staining or discoloration
- Have small chips, cracks, or fractures
- Have minor spacing or crowding between teeth
- Want to replace old metal fillings with natural-looking ones
- Need minor reshaping or recontouring of teeth
Due to the conservative nature of bonding, most people are good candidates. The exceptions are those with extensive tooth decay or severe periodontal disease who require more complex dental work.
Dr. Kauffman performs a thorough dental exam and may order dental X-rays or impressions to determine if you’re suitable for bonding. He’ll explain all your options so you can make the best choice for your smile goals, oral health, and budget.
The Dental Bonding Procedure
Dr. Kauffman may begin the treatment by numbing the tooth and lightly roughening the surface to help the bonding material adhere. For discolored teeth, he may slightly etch the enamel. Preparation requires no drilling or shots.
Then, the liquid resin is applied and sculpted with dental tools. Our Atlanta dentist meticulously shapes the material to mask flaws or customize the tooth’s appearance. He takes care to create a natural look and feel.
Next, a special curing light hardens and bonds the material to the tooth’s surface. The bonding process takes 30 to 60 minutes per tooth and may require one large area or multiple teeth to be bonded during the same visit
With bonding, you’ll benefit from customized improvements to your smile in a single office visit. And unlike crowns or veneers, you can keep your original healthy tooth structure intact.
Caring for Dental Bonding
While durable, dental bonding does require proper care and maintenance. With good oral hygiene, bonding can last five to 10 years or longer. Follow these tips from Dr. Kauffman:
- Brush twice daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste
- Gently floss once daily to prevent plaque buildup and staining
- Avoid biting your nails and chewing on hard objects like ice or pens
- Schedule professional cleanings every six months to prevent decay and maintain your bonding
- See Dr. Kauffman promptly if you notice any cracks, chips, or damage
- Avoid whitening treatments as the peroxide gel can harm bonding material
With proper home care and regular dental visits, your bonded teeth will stay beautiful and functional for many years.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dental bonding is durable and lasts five to 10 years with proper care. While not as strong as a dental crown, bonding is sufficient for repairing mild to moderate flaws or customizing tooth shapes. The resin material bonds tightly to the natural tooth for long-lasting results.
No, bonding does not damage healthy tooth structure. Unlike crowns or veneers, it doesn’t require drilling or removing enamel. Bonding preserves your natural teeth because it only affects the outer surface.
Dental bonding is not painful and does not require shots. Your dentist may use a local numbing gel for your comfort during tooth preparation. You should feel no pain or discomfort with the bonding application.
Dental bonding can become stained from coffee, tea, wine, tobacco, and other foods over time. Avoiding these and maintaining good oral hygiene helps bonding maintain its appearance.
Call Dr. Kauffman Today for Your Dental Bonding Consultation!
If you’re unhappy with discolored, damaged, or misshapen teeth, Dr. Thomas W. Kauffman provides dental bonding in Atlanta, GA. With a proven track record of success enhancing smiles, you can trust Dr. Kauffman for subtle yet transformative natural-looking dental bonding.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Kauffman to discuss your candidacy for dental bonding, call (404) 524-1981. We look forward to helping new and returning patients from the Atlanta metro area, including Marietta, Buckhead, and College Park, GA.