Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
A dental crown is a device that replaces the outer enamel of a tooth, restoring its strength. Instead of waiting weeks for your crown, you can now go to the dentist and have a crown created in just one sitting. Same-day crowns (also called CEREC crowns) are a technologically advanced way to create your dental restorations without a long wait or the need for a temporary dental covering. This treatment option is available with Dr. Thomas Kauffman at his practice in Downtown Atlanta, GA
Cases Where Crowns Can Help
Crowns help resolve a long list of common dental issues. These are common situations when your dentist will likely suggest a crown:
- Shoring up broken tooth enamel after a root canal treatment.
- Restoring the appearance of a tooth that looks bad due to intrinsic discoloration or an injury.
- Healing a chipped or cracked tooth.
- Aligning a tooth that is shifting forward, backwards, or to the side.
- Closing small gaps caused by small teeth, or correcting “bucked” teeth.
Crowns the Same-Day You Visit
The normal process for getting a crown requires the patient to come in for two to three separate appointments. But thanks to same-day crowns, that is no longer a requirement for this common restorative treatment. Your Downtown Atlanta, GA dentist has a special machine in the office that takes immediate images of your tooth and sends it to be milled while you wait. The technology is called CEREC (Chairside Economical Restorations of Esthetic Ceramic). The crown restoration is created, contoured, polished, and placed in a single appointment.
Benefits of Same-Day Crowns
When you have a lot on your plate, it's not always possible to commit to multiple dental appointments in a relatively short period of time. Same-day crowns save you valuable time—all you have to do is set aside one morning or afternoon to have your tooth repaired. After that, schedule a follow-up appointment for a checkup and cleaning in about six months. Same day crowns may also provide a more accurate and natural fit, with less need for manual contouring by your dentist.
Schedule Your Visit
Same day crowns are a major convenience if you find it difficult to fit multiple dentist appointments into your schedule. Call (404) 524-1981 today to see Dr. Thomas Kauffman and ask about CEREC crown restorations.
Your missing teeth may have you feeling as though your smile is an embarrassing aspect of your appearance rather than a beautiful trait to be proud of. Luckily, your dentist can help you replace your missing teeth and restore your confidence with dentures. Find out more about dentures and what they can do for you with Dr. Thomas Kauffman at his practice in Atlanta, GA.
What are my options for replacing my missing teeth?
Replacing your missing teeth can benefit your smile in many ways. Missing teeth cause issues like shifting surrounding teeth and bone atrophy, which can cause other, more serious complications. Additionally, filling in your gaps can boost your confidence and give you back your self-esteem. Your options for replacing your teeth with dentures include:
- Full Dentures: This style of denture replaces all of the teeth on an arch and fit onto the gums where the teeth once were. The natural look and the ability to replace many teeth at once make full dentures a good option for a variety of patients missing all their teeth.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are reserved for those patients who have one or more remaining healthy teeth. The denture fits over the teeth and allows the healthy tooth to act as an anchor, increasing the tooth’s stimulation to keep it healthier for longer. Using the natural teeth as an anchor also provides added security in terms of the denture staying in place during everyday activities like eating or speaking.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: Implant supported dentures use the same idea as full or partial dentures. However, while traditional dentures rely on gravity or suction to stay in place, implant-supported dentures take advantage of dental implants surgically placed into the jawbone in the mouth. The implants integrate into the bone and provide a sturdy foundation on which the denture can attach, keeping it permanently in the mouth and giving you a natural-looking and effectively functioning smile.
Dentures in Atlanta, GA
If you think you could benefit from dentures, consulting with your dentist can allow you to determine if this is your best option moving forward. For more information on dentures, including implant-supported dentures, please contact Dr. Kauffman at his practice in Atlanta, GA. Call (404) 524-1981 to schedule your consultation for dentures today!
A dental filling means one less cavity taking up important space in your smile. However, in the past, filling a cavity also meant adding a discoloration to your smile. Luckily, your dentist can help you take care of your cavities and ensure you have the most natural look possible with tooth-colored fillings. Find out more about tooth-colored fillings with Dr. Thomas Kauffman in Atlanta, GA.
What is a tooth-colored filling?
Rather than using metals or amalgam to fill the tooth, your dentist will use a dental composite resin matched to the shade of your natural teeth. This ensures a natural look and minimal discolorations in your smile. The composite resin materials even come in different shades to ensure that your filling blends right in with your natural teeth.
What are the benefits of tooth-colored fillings?
The most obvious benefit of a tooth-colored filling is its subtlety. The materials’ natural coloring will ensure they fit seamlessly into your smile. Additionally, composite resin is a sturdy material, lasting for many years before requiring maintenance or replacement. For larger restorations, we also offer 'custom milled fillings' using CEREC technology. Using a digital image of your tooth, the CEREC system uses a milling device to create custom restorations. These normally exhibit superior fit when large portions of the tooth are missing.
How can I prevent requiring a dental filling?
Dental fillings treat cavities. Your dentist removes the decayed portion of the tooth and fills it in with the materials you choose and reshapes the biting surface of the tooth to fit naturally into the bite. Preventing a dental filling is as easy as preventing tooth decay. Simply brush your teeth twice daily and floss at least once every day in between your bi-annual preventative dental examinations and cleanings.
Tooth-Colored Fillings in Atlanta, GA
If you think you could benefit from a tooth-colored filling, you should consult with your dentist to ensure that this is the right treatment for you. Avoiding colored fillings can keep your smile appearing naturally and ensure that you feel great about the way you look. For more information on tooth-colored fillings, please contact Dr. Kauffman in Atlanta, GA. Call (404) 524-1981 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Kauffman today!