How your dentist in Atlanta, Georgia can help you during a dental emergency.
A dental emergency can be a scary experience, especially when it happens to you or someone you love. You can make it a little less scary by being prepared and knowing what to do when it happens. An important part of handling a dental emergency is contacting your dentist for help. Dr. Thomas Kauffman in Atlanta, Georgia can help you during your dental emergency.
It’s helpful to have a dental first aid kit in a convenient place in your home. Stock your dental first aid kit with these items:
- Dr. Kauffman’s office contact information
- Over-the-counter pain medication like ibuprofen or Tylenol
- Saline solution for rinsing away debris and blood
- Gauze patches or tissues to reduce or stop bleeding
- A small container with a lid
Many dental emergencies happen because of injury or trauma. If this happens to you or someone in your household, you should:
- Reduce infection by rinsing with the saline solution
- Reduce or stop bleeding by pressing gauze to the area
- Reduce swelling by applying an ice pack to the area
- See your dentist as soon as possible
If your tooth has been knocked loose and out of position, gently move it back into position and seek out your dentist as soon as possible.
If your tooth has been knocked out completely, avoid touching the roots of the tooth. Instead, handle the tooth by the crown and place it in the container with the saline solution to keep it wet. Again, seek out your dentist as soon as possible.
You can do a lot to prevent dental emergencies by visiting your dentist regularly. Regular dental exams and x-rays can help prevent serious, painful dental issues, and keep your smile healthy. A healthy smile is a great start to avoiding dental emergencies.
When a dental emergency happens, you have a partner who can help, your dentist. For more information about preventing and handling dental emergencies and other restorative and cosmetic dental services, call Dr. Thomas Kauffman in Atlanta, Georgia today!