A dental emergency is any occurrence that requires the immediate assistance or attention of a dental professional. Dentists like Atlanta GA dentist Dr. Thomas W Kauffman DDS offer emergency services for patients in urgent need of care. Here are some tips for what to do and a dental emergency.
Home Care Tips
When there's a dental emergency, there are a few things that can be done at home in advance of seeing a professional Atlanta GA dentist:
- If the side of the face swells or aches, apply ice to the cheek.
- Keep a tooth in milk to bring into the dentist to see if it can be rebonded or implanted.
- Try plugging a cavity with sugar-free gum.
- Try rinsing the mouth with a half teaspoon of salt to a glass of water throughout the day until you see the dentist to calm inflammation and control bleeding.
- Placing a cold tea bag to a bleeding tooth may help ease the pain.
- In the case of an infection, avoid eating or drinking solid foods until seeing an emergency dentist.
Visiting the Emergency Room
When experiencing a dental emergency, some people have to resort to the extreme of visiting in emergency room. This should be a last option because unfortunately, qualified dentists aren't always on staff in hospital ERs. The best dental care that many emergency room doctors can provide is pain medication or extraction. A dentist who specializes in these issues, and can save your tooth best provides quality dental care.
Call an Emergency Dentist
The best option when you have a dental emergency is to get in touch with an emergency dentist. For urgent matters that require a dentist, Atlanta area residents call on Dr. Thomas W Kauffman for assistance. He is conveniently located at 133 Peachtree Street N.E. and accepts appointment requests from his website or calls at (404) 524-1981. Visit his website for patient education on common oral health concerns.