Oral Surgery in Downtown Atlanta, GA
The facts about oral surgery procedures
The world of oral surgery has become state-of-the-art with new procedures and technologies designed to provide optimum care. Procedures are streamlined to be efficient and quick. New technologies, such as 3D x-ray, have enabled better diagnosis and treatment outcomes. From the office of your Atlanta, GA dentist, Thomas W. Kauffman, here is some information on oral surgery.
There are many reasons you might need an oral surgery procedure. These are just a few:
- Wisdom tooth extraction, to remove third molars which are crowding other teeth, difficult to clean or are surrounded by bone (impacted) and will never erupt
- Tooth extraction, for orthodontic work, damaged teeth or periodontally compromised teeth, or to place a denture
- Bone grafts, to add bone if the bone in your jaw is diminished from wearing a denture or partial for many years; you may also need a bone graft to add bone for a dental implant
- Dental implant placement, to replace a single tooth or multiple missing teeth
- Jaw and facial problems, to correct poor jaw alignment or other structural issues
No discussion of oral surgery would be complete without mentioning patient comfort. The relaxation and comfort of the patient is the most important consideration fro your Atlanta oral surgeon during your procedure. That’s why there are many different methods of anesthesia available, depending on the procedure and your preference.
Depending on your procedure, consider asking about the following forms of anesthesia:
- Local anesthesia, an injection or injections to numb the treatment area
- Nitrous oxide, a gas administered to promote wellbeing and relaxation
- Oral sedation, a pill used to promote deep relaxation during which you will be able to respond, but you won’t remember the procedure
- IV sedation, delivered through a vein to create the most profound relaxation during which you may go to sleep and won’t remember the procedure
Oral surgery procedures are nothing to be afraid of. In fact, the right procedure can improve both function and how you look. With today’s oral surgery techniques and technology, it’s a new world in oral surgery. If you need a skilled dentist to perform oral surgery services, contact Dr. Thomas Kauffman, your neighborhood oral surgery expert in downtown Atlanta, GA. Call (404) 524-1981 today to learn more about what oral surgery can do for you!